Tuesday, March 27, 2018

Toronto Top 8 Oni Assassin Deck List

Hi guys! I'm back from Toronto regionals. It was a fun time. I lost a few gym battles but that's fine. It was fun and people enjoyed my gym battle format. I wanted to share my deck list and sideboard before I rework it with all the new New World Chaos support so let's hop to it!

The flag is not legitimate just fyi

Obviously you have to run Katana World to play Oni Assassins. The flag is custom made. It's not normally able to be foil. Fiend of Gaze, Ayo is buddy because he's free to call and free set up. Pretty straightforward reasons. I know people run Red Lady Oni, Kureha as buddy and I don't blame them. It's fine if you buddy her but I like free call monsters as buddy. It's personal preference.

Max rarity is so beautiful

Size 0:

Size 1:

Size 2:

Size 3:

Item:

Spells:

Impact:

The deck heirs more on the set 1 cards in terms of game play and cards since New World Chaos just release. I didn't receive all my cards yet for New World Chaos and I wasn't a huge fan of most of the support from set 3 for Oni Assassins. The weapon I liked the most that I had available to me was Dark Arms, Soaring Blade since there are still a healthy amount of monsters that can die by effects.

The concept of the deck is simple but it's execution requires expertise. It's more about controlling the opponent's board and having a good toolbox of one ofs for almost any situation and sideboard out the ones that don't help with the match up. Ideally, you want to stop the opponent's plans to set up their perfect board before it happens. This means that you have to be pretty good at predicting what cards people are running in decks and plan accordingly.

The newest card in the deck was Witching Hour Oni, Kid Ibuki "Gedomaru" since I was able to snag those before the trip. They were useful a couple times but didn't make a big impact. I feel that that's more on me for putting them in last minute and I feel they can be better than I used them for. Usually, I have my deck ironed out for the last week or two and just play it until it feels natural. I literally put those Ibukis and play tested it in my deck the night before.


Sideboard:

So I'll break down why I chose each card for sideboard:

CHAOS Ox-Head Horse-Face for soul reliant decks but aren't necessarily souls in monsters such as Black Dragons with Death Count ~Requiem~ and Plague's book, Scholarly Tome of Death, Aneotomy.

Chess Break was for Invitation to Death Grounds and Sunken Seabed Ruins. The former just literally stops by deck and the latter is annoying when trying to inflict effect damage and even if I destroy it, the opponent can just revive it for 1 life during their main phase so putting it to the bottom of the deck is a nice alternative.

Demon Way, Sakurafubuki was sided as a general toolbox against decks with strong spells. I had to real target in particular.

The Secret Sword cards fall under the same general category as Demon Way, Sakurafubuki. There's so many dragons in this game that it can stop a lot of decks. My personal favorite deck to stop with it is Prism Dragons since the opponent has to pay the call cost (usually 2-3 gauge) and then it's nullified. This makes it hard for them to recover that 3 gauge without sitting on something in the mean time.

If you have any questions about the deck, feel free to leave them in the comments.

No comments:

Post a Comment